Saturday, August 21, 2010

Get A Haircut, Hippie!

As you can see, we've been putting off Joseph's first "official" haircut for far too long. The problem is I love his hair. It's so fine and soft and yummy, but it's been getting in the poor boy's eyes. And recently he's started pulling on it sooooo it's time...


I'm especially going to miss these wispy bits in the back. ::sigh::


It's only hair, right. (By the way, I recently gave my own a big chop too as you can see from the pics above. Seven inches! It feels fantastic and is so much easier, which means fewer ponytail days. Yay!)

For Joseph's big chop we took him to a cute, little place that caters specifically to children, Pigtails & Crewcuts. The place was p-a-c-k-e-d with last minute back-to-school kids. We had a 45-minute wait and were in dangerous naptime territory. Luckily the place is specifically designed for over-stimulation, from the retina-burning wall colors to the TVs playing movies to the walled off playroom in the back. Thankfully the boys had no trouble entertaining themselves while we waited.

When it was finally our turn, we got the taxi chair! (There was also an airplane and a fire truck, both admittedly WAY cooler than a taxicab, but we figured he wouldn't mind. At least we have a few years before we have to fight THAT battle.)

Joseph wasn't quite sure what to do with himself. He was draped and dropped into the driver's seat but now what?


Daddy convincing Joseph how cool it was to drive

I missed what Joseph's stylist's name was. It sounded suspiciously close to "curry". She had many tattoos and piercing and was totally sweet and FAST. I guess you have to be for this job. She's laughing here because I was sitting with Luke in my lap. When I lifted the camera, the straps were dangling in front of his face so he stuck his head through them as if he were the photographer, instead of me.


It was cute. You had to be there.

Whatever Greg told Joseph, it worked because he was completely engrossed in driving that taxi. He didn't make a peep when she sprayed his head repeatedly with water.


In fact, most of the time when she was messing with his hair, he sat perfectly still. He probably loved every minute of it - definitely gets that from his daddy.


When the car eventually got stale, we busted out the pinwheels, buying "Curry" 5 more minutes of happy boy.


Dude, your mom's going to be pissed when she sees that marker all over your arms.



Meanwhile Luke may not have ridden in the taxi but not to worry. He was having a great time too. And it's a good thing because at this rate, it'll be YEARS before he finally needs a cut.


I'm so happy they're content just to live vicariously through each other at this stage. Makes life much more peaceful.

Joseph's cut lasted for a total of about 10 minutes. As she added the final touches (gel!), monsieur enjoyed a refreshing snack before he & his brother were chauffeured home to enjoy a 2-hour reprieve from their busy, busy day.


So first haircut experience = SUCCESS!

I wish I had thought to take a good 'after' photo, but I didn't. Needless to say, hair will no longer be encroaching on the poor boy's eyes and ears. For a little while at least.




My handsome little men are 14.5 months old.

4 comments:

The Katanicks said...

LOVE your new cut!
Adorable, I can see how you would be attached to the wispies, swoon... Joseph and Luke are so precious and growing so fast!
Miss you all!!
XX
K

Juicy said...

Ok, I'm going to need to borrow Joseph to show my boys how getting a haircut is SUPPOSED to be done. He was so good! My boys, not so much! I'm jealous that no tears were involved. :)

BeckO said...

Wow, Joseph totally rocked the whole first haircut business.. not a tear? Awesome!
And you look great, L! Love the cut!

Mimi said...

Uncle Trav and I laughed through this whole business. But we need to see a good after-pic. Sweet story! and I love your hair!