Saturday, May 16, 2009

Bedrest?!?

Yep, bedrest....

I suppose I was due for some drama because this "high risk" pregnancy has been such a breeze up until this point. But I'm now officially bed-ridden until these boys arrive, hopefully not too soon.

A few weeks ago, my doc surprised me by saying I was already 25% effaced, meaning my cervix had slightly shortened & softened.


Not a huge deal. People go weeks and weeks being 25% effaced with no problems.

Well, my meeting on Thursday showed a little more progress. Now I'm not only 25% effaced, but I'm also 1 cm dilated. And my blood pressure was a bit on the high side - 128/86. They don't really worry until bp gets to be 140/90 so I was still under that, but my doctor thinks that I might be preeclamptic by next week so onto bedrest I went.

I saw a colleague of hers yesterday. Still only 1 cm dilated & my bp was a bit more sensible - 114/74. He was also going to give me the fetal fibronectin test, which could tell us whether or not I would be safe from going into preterm labor for at least a week. However, since I'll be 34 weeks in a few days (and at 34 weeks they don't stress about giving moms steroids to help mature baby's lungs in case they arrive early) and since I have twins (which tend to develop a little faster than singleton babies), we decided to not bother with the test. Plus, there was a chance that I'd get a false positive so what's the point, right. So it's just playing the waiting game now. I go in again on Monday to make sure there was no more dilation or effacement over the week-end.

Now I'm hoping to at least last for a few more weeks. Greg, on the other hand, is pushing for 2 weeks and 6 days exactly. Then he'll share a birthday with his boys. :) That'd be cool. But boys, at least 2 more weeks, okay. For your mama.

2 comments:

k8deinhammer said...

Be good about the bed rest . . . it's so hard, but preeclampsia is no fun! Hope you are otherwise well and excited. Can you believe they're almost here? I hope we can see you at least once before they come. Let us know when we can stop by with good wishes and a bite to eat. Next weekend, maybe?

Juicy said...

how cool would it be if your boys shared their dad's birthday, like mine do! gl, hope you can go that long...it's not hard. ;)