Monday, May 5, 2008

Throwing in the Towel

Greg and I are stupid, stupid homeowners with delusions of grandeur and masochistic tendencies. That's what our imaginary therapist would call it anyway.

Our Saturday ended in whimpers of pain and delirium after spending EIGHT back-breaking hours trying to strip the old stain off our 400+ square foot deck (man, I seriously got woozy and light-headed just typing that... I am so not kidding! I think I have emotional scars from this week-end). It was a disaster! Why, oh why did we think we could tackle this task on our own? Ugh.

After making it through 70% of the deck, we finally called it quits. We were done and just could not go on any longer. We barely had enough energy to drag our tired, demoralized asses in to shower, and then we crashed. Hard. We're still recovering...

We're sunburned and inhaled way too many corrosive chemicals. Soreness is everywhere, even in the palms of our hands. Making a fist hurts right now. What's worse is that the stripping only partially worked. There are still scattered bits of red all over. If you didn't know any better, you'd think our deck was beaten within an inch of its life and is now covered in red welts and blisters. It hurts to look at. Our poor, abused deck...

We've decided to do what we should have done in the first place. We're calling in the experts to clean up our mess and finish the job. We don't even care what it costs as long as we don't have to lift another finger on this awful mess.

Enough whining. Just remember this if you're ever considering stripping and refinishing the deck yourselves. I would seriously advise against it. Call the professionals! Some things are worth the money!

1 comment:

Cristina said...

UGH...that sounds frustrating! Sorry to hear you all had so much trouble...but in the end you'll have a great deck and it will be worth it!

Ps. the bathing suits you asked about are from Urban Outfitters (white one), and Newport-News (black one). Hope that helps!