When you look up my hometown on Wikipedia, the last sentence reads as follows:
According to CDC reports, the teen pregnancy rate in Ector County is the highest in the United States with 22.9%.
By the time I left high school, twelve of my classmates and friends, all smart girls in the advanced placement and honors courses, had become pregnant. Back then the P word was generally not considered good news.
Is it any wonder then that my gut reaction upon hearing someone announce they are pregnant is still one of shock and dismay, even if only for a split second? Even if this is now considered good news? At thirty years old, you would think I'd have overcome that impulse by now but no. Some things are engrained early and I may never outgrow...
However, to help me along in the process of changing perceptions are our friends Brad & Alisha. A BIG congratulations to the both of them! After months and months of trying and almost giving up, they have finally announced the good news. I'm so happy for you both, and I'm sure Maddie is going to make a wonderful big sister. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment